Here was my scenario;
I opened the fridge and saw the following, half kilo meat, fruits, yogurt, leftover kunde, homemade coconut milk, half a packet of milk, lime and lemons. What meal am I supposed to make out of it?
I closed the fridge and sat back at the sofa and watched Mark Wiens latest Youtube episode and voila!
- Half a kilo of meat
- Ginger & garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper – half a teaspoon
- Chilli paste – half a teaspoon
- Juice from 3 limes
- Coconut oil, 1 tablespoon
- Vinegar, 1 tablespoon
- 250 ml mala
- Tomato paste, 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Paprika, a dash
- Tumeric, a dash
- A lot of onions – I used 4 large ones
- A pinch of cumin seeds
- A stick of cinnamon
- Wash the meat and dry it completely
- Using only half of the mala, mix everything except onions, tomato paste, cumin, and cinnamon stick in a bowl.
- Let it sit overnight or at least 4 hours because this is red meat.
- Heat up your cooking pan and add cooking oil
- As the oil heats up, chop up your onions. Add the cumin seeds and cinnamon sticks and let them sizzle a bit but not burn.
- Add your onions with salt and let it fry till golden brown.
- Add your marinated meat plus marinade, mix well, cover and let the marinade/juices cook down or until it starts to stick to the sides and the bottom.
- Reduce the heat, add the tomato paste and the remainder of the mala.
- Mix well and cover, let it continue simmering until the oil separates at the top of the sauce.
- Served with Ugali and kunde.